Biotech Africa is the exciting and unique commercialisation of the last 10 years of Molecular Biology research at the HIV Pathogenesis Laboratory at a leading South African University. We are scaling up the production of highly purified recombinant proteins via the relocation from a University R&D facility to a world-class biotechnology laboratory and marketing platform in Cape Town.
This will ultimately contribute towards enhanced research, diagnosis and treatment of multiple infectious and pathogenic illnesses. We are driven by the global requirement for improved in vitro diagnostics for neglected diseases affecting the developing world: Diagnostics have the potential to save hundreds of thousands of lives each year by detecting disease in its early stages. Early diagnosis ensures that patients get the right treatment quickly and stopping the over-use of inappropriate medicines, critical in the fight against the emergence of drug-resistance. Improved in vitro diagnostic products, coupled with access to therapies, can save hundreds of thousands of lives per year.
Our current range of highly purified recombinant proteins (antigens) focuses on HIV. Our products and are used in the manufacture of diagnostic test kits (HIV1/2 ELISA, rapid test kits), blood screening banks and research institutions. In addition to recombinant protein production, monoclonal antibody development and production is underway.
In vitro use of monoclonal antibodies not only in the diagnostics industry is extensive and future progression into the in vivo therapeutic use of monoclonal antibodies is also planned.
We are looking to create partnerships with Internationally competitive and forward thinking businesses with a desire to enter the above markets with a view to contract manufacture and new product development.
- Biotech Africa is the first and only operator of its kind in Africa.
- Refined technical proficiency built over 10 years using top African scientific innovation.
- At the forefront of technology, Biotech Africa is utilising modern recombinant protein methodology.
- Ability to respond to the global trend towards point of care testing via the ongoing generation of new antigens for other immunoassays including those of both human and animal origin.
- Capacity to service a global need & market.
- Proven product with existing international track record comprising of well established international clients.
- GP41 antigen uniquely formulated using either HIV subtype B or C
- A world-class laboratory in the mother city of Cape Town